March 1, 2013

Frida Kahlo Altar


To honor my favorite artist Frida Kahlo I made her an altar at my “Celebrate Life Frida Kahlo style” birthday party, which covered my dinning room table. My altar which is more like a shrine celebrates the life of Frida Kahlo, her pain, her love for Mexico, the flowers in her hair, the artist who expressed herself in her paintings. Many of the pieces making up my altar come from Mexico which my mom purchased for me during one of her visits, the books on Frida’s life come from the library, and the Mexican blanket everything lays on came from a thrift store (blankets are always on my list when thrifting). Most of the items on the altar are displayed in my home year round.


“There have been two great accidents in my life. One was the trolley, and the other was Diego. Diego was by far the worst.” – Frida Kahlo


“I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best.”
- Frida Kahlo


“I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.” – Frida Kahlo


“Painting completed my life.” – Frida Kahlo


“Nothing is worth more than laughter. It is strength to laugh and to abandon oneself, to be light. Tragedy is the most ridiculous thing.” – Frida Kahlo


“I love you more than my own skin.” – Frida Kahlo


“I hope the exit is joyful and I hope never to return.” – Frida Kahlo


“I paint flowers so they will not die.” – Frida Kahlo

I’ve learned from Frida that life is raw, uncensored, and we must learn to live it to the fullest! On that note, I leave you with my favorite Frida quote…

 “At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.” 

 Nicely said Frida!

1 comment:

  1. I love everything about this! Friday is amazing. What a great altar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...