November 8, 2011

Book Review: “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard


I just finished reading “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard. The book is a true story, a memoir, of Jaycee Dugard, who was taken at age eleven in 1991 and was raped, manipulated, and bore two children of her abductor. After eighteen years she was reunited with her family in 2009. I give the book three stars. It’s a difficult read in the beginning as Jaycee goes into detail on how her abductor, Phillip Garrido, rapes her. Obviously, we know that Jaycee returns home and that’s what motivated me to continue reading, waiting for the moment when she is finally free. Though, I felt she rushed describing the part when she was free from her abductors and I had to read that section twice. I did get upset with Jaycee as I read the book because I saw many opportunities when she could have escaped, but then again I had to remember that she was young when she was taken and manipulated by a sick man. This book left me feeling grateful for the freedom I have in my life. I will always think of Jaycee Dugard when I see a pinecone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...