November 1, 2011

Happy Day of the Dead


Day of the Dead also known as Dia de los Muertos in Spanish is a very significant holiday for me. I didn’t learn about this holiday from my mother who is from Guadalajara, Mexico, where they do celebrate Day of the Dead. I learn about it in college from my Latino History class and my Printmaking teacher, Joe Moran, who sadly passed away this year.

Day of the Dead is a celebration for the dead. It’s celebrating the life of our past loved ones and being happy that we had the pleasure to have them in our life. Every year I put up a Day of the Dead altar. Most of my decorations came from Guadalajara, Mexico. My mom bought them for me when she visited her hometown a few years ago. Putting up my altar is an emotional process for me. It reminds me of how much I miss my uncle, grandparents, and other important people that have influenced my life and reminds me of the memories we shared together. And, yes I do lots of crying. They’re tears of sadness and joy.

Happy Day of the Dead! Feliz Dia de los Muertos!

Who’s in your thoughts today on this special day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...