March 7, 2013

The Flowers in Frida’s Hair


Bee Creative Swaps’ first swap was titled, “Artist Swap” where we made an art piece inspired by the artist our partner chose. My swap partner was Emily, co-founder of Bee Creative Swaps and blog owner of The Morose Bee, and her artist of choice was Frida Kahlo! Lucky me right? As a bow for Emily’s swap package, I made a tissue paper flower inspired by the flowers in Frida’s hair. I loved the way it turned out and had to include tissue paper flowers in my “Celebrate Life Frida Style” birthday party.


With the help of my friends, Amanda and Christi, we were able to make 23 beautiful tissue paper flowers of different colors. Click here for the flower tutorial. Thank you Amanda and Christi! The majority of the flowers were made out of recycled tissue paper I had been saving from the holidays and birthdays. Let’s admit it, we crafters are slight hoarders.


I was fascinated by the outcome of the flowers and the making process that I ended up staying up very late one night making more to use as garland. However, these were solid color and fluffed all the way around. Click here for tutorial used.

On the morning of my fiesta (party), Amanda came by to help me hang my decorations. My papel picado banner made of plastic was purchased at Amols.com and hung on my front porch. My Catrina on my front door held my flower garland. Amanda also helped me hang the rest of the tissue paper flowers with clear packing tape on one of the walls in my house, you notice when you first walk in. This wall became the photo backdrop for my guests. From all the decorations at my party, the photo backdrop still remains up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...