May 20, 2016

Friday Frida Favs: DIWM Frida Kahlo Handprint Portrait Tutorial


Hey (I currently say “Hey” instead of “Hi”) everyone! It’s me Lily! This is my first post on my mama’s booger, I mean blog on Creativity Lizette. Guess what? I’m creative too! I saw how much fun my Mama was having with Friday Frida Fav and I thought to myself, “No fair! I want to join in the Frida fun too!” Since I’m little, I asked my Mama for help with a Frida art project I had in mind. Today, my mama and I bring you this awesome Frida Kahlo handprint portrait tutorial or what I like to call Do It With Mama or Mommy (I call my mom, Mama) tutorial.

This is almost like finger painting (I love painting) only that your parent has some but not all control were the prints are going. This DIWM tutorial is not a one day project. Come on, I’m a toddler; I have a shot attention span and get easily distracted. What was I talking about? Oh, yeah! I tell my mama, “No more!” When I am done with what I am doing and want to move onto something new, like reading a book. It took my mama and I a couple of days to complete this Frida handprint portrait. Remember, time and patience is needed when working with a toddler. I should know, I’m a toddler! Without further ado, here’s my Mama. She’s going to take over while I go have a snack. “Mama, chip?”


This mother and daughter project was inspired by 1939’s French Vogue magazine cover of Frida Kahlo, taken by photographer Nickolas Muray.

Supplies (Not Pictured):
Green Paper (background), Paint needed is White (for face and ribbon on sacred heart), Brown (for hair), Yellow (inside of the flowers and middle flame above scared heart), Pink (flower pedals), Black (unibrow), Light Pink (cheeks), Blue (earrings), Red (Heart), orange (outter flames above sacred heart), paint brushes, water, paper towel, a plastic bag (this is were I pour the paint onto, a black pen, and of course a willing toddler and a patient parent.



Paso (Means Step) 1: For Frida’s face, I painted Lily’s palm white, not including the fingers, and pressed it onto the green paper. Make sure you leave enough space underneath for the sacred heart.

Paso 2: For Frida’s hair, I painted Lily’s left thumb brown and pressed it horizontally on the top, left part of Frida’s head. Then I did the same with her right thumb and pressed it on the opposite side of Frida’s head.

Paso 3: For the inside of the flowers, I painted the the tip of Lily’s pinky yellow and pressed it above Frida’s head. We did this four times leaving small gaps in between for the flower pedals. Let dry before you continue onto the next step.

Paso 4: For the flower pedals, I painted the tip of Lily’s middle finger pink and pressed it around the yellow finger print. Repeat until you make a flower pattern then move onto the next yellow circle. There is no need to wait for the flower pedals to dry since they are all the same color, unless you want the flowers to be different colors.



Paso 5: For Frida’s signature unibrows, I actually painted the outter side of Lily’s left pinky finger black  and pressed it horizontally on the left side of Frida’s head. I repeated the same step with her right finger and connected it to the left unibrow.

Paso 6: For Frida’s cheeks, I painted the tip of Lily’s left thumb pink and pressed it on the left side of were Frida’s cheek should be. I did the same thing with her right thumb on the opposite side were the first cheek got printed.

Paso 7: For Frida’s earrings, I painted the tip of Lily’s ring finger and pressed on the outter left middle part of Frida’s head. Repeat the same “paso” with the right finger on the opposite side.

Paso 8: You want to print the sacred heart below Frida’s head. I painted Lily’s index finger red and pressed it slightly side ways towards the left. Then I painted the same finger and overlapped it on the bottom of the last print pressing it slightly towards the right, creating the shape of a heart. Let dry.

Paso 9: For the flame above the sacred heart, I painted the tip of Lily’s picky finger orange and pressed it on the top middle part of the heart. Let dry.



Paso 10: I painted the tip of Lily’s ring finger yellow and pressed it on the left side of the orange flame print and then I painted the same finger again and pressed it on the right side of the orange flame print.

Paso 11:  For the ribbon over the sacred heart, I painted Lily’s picky finger white and pressed it across the heart. I wiped her finger off and painted the tip of her picky finger white and pressed it on the front but slightly over the front of the ribbon. Then, I painted the tip of the finger again and pressed it on the opposite just like the last print.


Paso 12: This is my favorite “paso” because it makes everything come together. Grab your black pen and outline the pedals making them look like flowers, create earrings for Frida, give Frida eyes, a nose, and a smile with lips, outline your sacred heart, draw flames, outline your ribbon, and write Frida’s name in the ribbon. Lily moved her hand a lot during this mommy and daughter collaboration; nonetheless, the quality time, memories, and finished project was well worth it. This is now framed and displayed on our fireplace.

Hey guys, I’m back! It's Lily! I hope you enjoyed this Do It With Mama tutorial that my mama and I put together for you. If you decide to make your own Frida Kahlo handprint portrait like mine, please share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #fridahandprintportrait or email us a picture to creativitylizette@yahoo.com Mama says sharing is good.

Mama says, “Don’t forget to sign up for Bee Creative SwapsViva La Frida Craft Swap. Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.”

Happy FRIDAy from my Mama and me, Lily! “Mom, chip?”





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...