September 2, 2013

Olvera Street Photo Op & Winner

Other than wanting a margarita at Olvera Street taking this photograph there was a must. First, let me start by telling you a little about myself. I’m the only child from my mother and father. I consider myself a souvenir from their relationship. I have four siblings, me being the oldest. I have a brother and sister from my mother and her second husband and another brother and sister from my dad and his wife. I’ve only seen one photograph of my parents together. The picture is of my mom wearing a sombrero seating on a fake donkey and my father standing near her. Can you see where I’m going with this?

When my mother was married to her first husband the photograph of my parents disappeared. I wish I would have known during that time how much that picture would mean to me in the future and I would've asked for it and protected it. Turns out my mother’s first husband got rid of the picture. Bastard!

I always thought the photograph of my parents was taken at Olvera Street. Turns out it was taken at a work party, where they both worked. Taking this photo at Olvera Street is the closest I will get to that lost photograph. Seeing this picture helps me keep the photograph of my parents alive in my heart.

Here sits the souvenir, of two lost lovers, like the lost photo taken long ago. Though the photograph disappeared the souvenir remains.

On that note, felicidades (congratulation) to Suki! You won the Olvera Street bookmark souvenir!

2 comments:

  1. What a moving story. I think creativity is the best way to cope with loss and that's what you did here! I like the idea of being a souvenir from your parents' relationship. I guess that's what I am too (along with my brother), as my dad left when I was 2 and they've both had such different lives since then. I will cherish that thought.

    And I'm so delighted to win the giveaway, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to relate to my story Suki. Sometimes, being the child of a relationship that didn't work out isn't easy. I'm happy you had your brother by your side. I'll be mailing your prize tomorrow. Also, you are a precious souvenir!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...